google-site-verification: google7cff9fb873804351.html About That! rituals, cultures beliefs : Remembrance Day: War Slaughter Score Cards, Silent moment for the Fallen

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Remembrance Day: War Slaughter Score Cards, Silent moment for the Fallen

Remembrance Day exists because we need to validate the loss of our loved one’s lives & souls.

I had quite a few War Veterans in my family.  They were either physically scarred or empty souled. Two drank.  One had lost limbs.  All of them were damaged.  

They didn’t fight for their countries, they were forced to fight for ally countries.  They were young, scarred and didn’t have a choice.  

Growing up, I noted that Remembrance Day was somber.  It was sad. People died. 
Doing school projects about the origins of war made me question the volatile nature of political leaders.  They, for the most part are bullies.  They insist, they proclaim then an opponent disagrees, everybody picks sides and a war ensues. 

And then the men die or are forever broken.  What was to be proud in that?   The leaders keep the score cards and the glory.  As an adult I learned the importance of standing one’s ground,  but I learned it always came with consequence.  I have been on both sides of rebuttal and the best advice anyone had ever given me, was a police sergeant who told me to avoid a hostile neighbour - at all costs.  Avoidance of course does not get rid of the problem, as I have learned with unreconciled relationships, for there is nothing more empty then “pretending to be civil”.  

Why must we have war?  History shows that it is not always successful. 


Remembrance day isn’t about the battle.  It’s the time taken to feel sorrow for the pawns that fell by the wayside, to acknowledge that they mattered, their spirit is cherished and that they are not just a check on a political score card.  And this dear friend, is how the custom of Remembrance Day - came to be. 
   May all souls have peace. 



Two Finnish born brothers who became  Canadian Immigrants.

My Great Uncles Tauno & Tysto Lehikoinen (or to us - Tony & Ty) 
with my father & uncle (as children)

Ty served in WW2.  
Tony also served in WW2 & Korean War.  Neither had any children of their own. 










No comments:

Post a Comment