google-site-verification: google7cff9fb873804351.html About That! rituals, cultures beliefs : Christmas; scholarly debate, traditional & commercial ritual

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas; scholarly debate, traditional & commercial ritual

For millions, Christmas is a religious experience.  Jesus Christ is commemorated.  His birth or his conception.  For those of olde order, the winter solstice marked a perfect time to bring some celebration to people before the deep sleep of winter, sets in. 

Evidence shows that the two merged in tradition and ritual.  The yule log, the pine tree lit with candles, the feasting, the festivities.  Life, death, family connections and then Santa Claus or St Nick - got thrown into the mix. 

Christmas today is 90% commercial.  I personally know very few Christians who are still practicing.  I am neutral to this, for I myself had been risen Christian.  I went to Catholic school and Mennonite Sunday School.   These beliefs are just childhood memories now. 
I honour Jesus as much as I do Buddah and all the other prophets.  As a tale. 

Yes, I believe in a Godly Spirit.  What name I give it, is not important.  

What Christmas has become, is the pulling together of members of a tribe.  Some choose their family, but if families don’t work, some choose the ones who they care for.
Blood or marriage do not automatically make you family.  Love does. 

My Own Kids, love holiday travel. 
The gifts are an expression of this love, because people need to validate their love.
When money is tight, we feel guilt because we cannot bestow our presents, this is wrong because a simple gesture, alone should do. Or so we think.

I didn’t care for Christmas when I was a child because it was often a time of trouble.  As a young woman, I was often alone.  But as a Mother, I learned to see the magic through the eyes of my children and the satisfaction I get bestowing my love upon them, spoiling them, because I love them so. 

With Santa, emphasis is placed on the children and quite honestly, many people gather to make the day special for them.  I know we did.  As children get older and become young adults, you really see that Christmas is just about the gifts.  The religion has faded, it isn’t solemn with grace - its a great party time with shopping and good food.  It is what it is, what it has become.  I think I’m Ok with that! 


No comments:

Post a Comment