google-site-verification: google7cff9fb873804351.html About That! rituals, cultures beliefs : A bit about Chinese New Year & how it relates to Feng Shui

Friday, January 31, 2014

A bit about Chinese New Year & how it relates to Feng Shui

The Spring Festival, or Chinese New Year is an important traditional Chinese Holiday.
It is the last day of the last month of the lunisolar calendar.  Lunisolar (lune = moon/solar=sun) So both the moon’s phase and the year’s season are acknowledged and are used to predict the constellation or... astrological phase.   Ancient Chinese Secret stuff.
RED for Chinese New Year Celebration:  This display is actually a Feng Shui enhancer & cure. 

There’s actually fifteen days of rituals that are noted that honor deities and ancestors.
House cleaning and purging is key to sweep away all the bad of the year before. The color red is applied freshly and liberally, debts are paid out and incense is burned for a variety of reasons.  Most recognize the gift exchange of red envelopes with money or chocolate coins in them. And of course, we see red and gold paper lanterns and such.  

I was introduced to the Chinese New Year when I studied Eastern Energy Philosophy. I practice traditional feng shui and harmonize annual energy patterns that merge into the year, (several days after the Chinese New Year).  Somewhere around February 4/5 chi moves into homes with different intensities, like a bio rhythm. 

I have always used the Chinese New Year as a start to my Feng Shui cures & enhancement strategies.  My newly adapted custom goes like this;  I use the cleaning and purging of pre Chinese New Year as a way of starting with a fresh slate.  Ritualistically I clean and then prepare a room for what it is about to need. Then I go about doing it in time for the annual influences to take effect.


In my dreary Canadian winter, the celebration of The Chinese New Year is welcoming and it helps me kick start a new year, mindful of what obstacles or blessings I may encounter.  A little preventative medicine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment