google-site-verification: google7cff9fb873804351.html About That! rituals, cultures beliefs : Why some people meditate

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Why some people meditate




stolen moment while on a family vacation
I meditate.  Early Hindu traditions, Veda, Taoist China, and both early Buddhism and early Judaism; had meditative practices that were recorded in antiquity.  During the Middle Ages Islamic mysticism & Hasidic Kabbalistic religions involved reflection and study.  And then along came Christianity with it’s homage to prayer.  

Meditation is simply to read, ponder, pray, contemplate and to be still within yourself.
But our minds wander, so to counteract this we repeat mantras or comments in an attempt to zone ourselves out - as in transcendental meditation. I personally have repeated (almost in desperation) heal me, nurture me, love me, soothe me... show me the way.  Meditating does not naturally come to us and we often try guided meditation by listening to a leader in a group setting, recording or memorized script.  Millions go on magical trips into dwellings, the seashore, or the heavens in search of guidance. I know I have. 

Some people meditate to experience the healing benefits; decreased blood pressure, lowered cholesterol, reduced production of stress hormones and more efficient oxygen use. Research shows it decreases anxiety, depression and insomnia, it improves the immune system.  All valid reasons.  It’s good for you. In fact,  don’t even have to do it in the lotus pose, I mostly lay down comfortably and close my eyes. 

You see our brains are mysterious things, with meditation neurotransmitters can release benefits  that no pharmaceutical drug can ever replicate.  It just takes time. Time alone. 
That’s the key to mediation.  Alone.  You rehash the wrongs you felt inflicted upon you, you question why someone cannot express reciprocal feelings, you doubt your choices, you dwell.  This isn’t what stops the mediation process but what makes you human. 

I have tried to receive spiritual messages, open and cleanse all my chakras, heal my ailments and apologize to myself.  The time I have allotted to myself in mediation is akin to solitary confinement.  I have wept.  I have known humility.  I take the time to question other’s sense of entitlement and I ask repeatedly, just to be loved.

I think some people meditate just for validation from themselves.  No spiritual essence of yourself will ever judge you and I believe, if you really want to get to know yourself - be alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment