google-site-verification: google7cff9fb873804351.html About That! rituals, cultures beliefs : A bit about.... International Women's Day

Saturday, March 8, 2014

A bit about.... International Women's Day

Today I attended my first IWD gathering.  I’m in my mid 50’s, a former barbie doll type raised by Archie Bunker male influences and subservient matriarchs, so I sat there and wondered... do I fit in?

In attendance were recognizable female activists, celebrated authors, documentarians, doctors, lawyers and Queen’s Jubilee Medal recipients - all from my neighbourhood; Roncesvalles Toronto.  And then there was me.  It took me all of ten minutes to realize that I was an example of the change that is needed to validate the importance of International Women’s Day.  Women need to acknowledge their own self worth.  

In ratio to the history of mankind, there are far too many years that women haven’t achieved any equal status.  Couldn’t even vote a hundred years ago.  No woman in my immediate family has ever earned an equal salary, higher level of education (and perhaps too honestly) during my childhood I have witnessed the disproportionate injustices of domestic abuse.  How would I know any better? 

I do know of crotchety grandfather types who poo poo the efforts of recognizing gender equality.  They still exist.  They have patted me on the head. The begrudging thought that women have the audacity to require a day of celebration is beyond some. Isn’t that sad?   Hopefully this way of thinking will come to pass for all of society.  This isn’t  exclusively feminism, its humanism and its a celebration.


Karyn with Toronto City Councillors; Gord Perk & Sarah Doucette
So over tea and nibbles we women gathered and I too, took pride in the achievements I have brought to our community. I have had the opportunity to lead, advocate and promote ideals that benefit society and I would like for my daughter and her friends to know, that they are capable of great things.  This is what International Women’s Day is all about.  Pass on the strength.  

Want to know a bit about me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment