google-site-verification: google7cff9fb873804351.html About That! rituals, cultures beliefs : A bit about the Autumn season

Thursday, September 18, 2014

A bit about the Autumn season

Melancholy is the season, from warm to cold
Autumn is the outcome as summer harvests and lives unfold. 


Every Autumn we celebrate harvests and participate in life and death celebrations.  Children go back to school, back to seriousness and we all stock pile our summer traditions and outdoor belongings as we get ready to hunker down for the onslaught of winter.  

There’s a sense of ending when Fall comes. Isn’t there?  We don our snuggly woolies and venture out to enjoy the spectacular changing of the leaves.  Each September I feel older; my kids are in a higher grade, and our homestead just experienced another year of decay.

Of course I’ll be participating in many fall festivals, the life/death celebrations and the giving of thanks, but I’ll also adopt a more reflective state of mind.  Maturity? Perhaps that’s it. Acceptance? Yes, Autumn is the time of year that people come to terms with the reality that they have created. Choices, whether self imposed or forced by others- come to fruition in the autumn months. Is it any wonder that this is the time selected for government elections?  Make a choice and stick with it - 
reap what you sow. 

So with the approaching chilly nights, I myself will dispose of my porch’s summer florals and replace them with Autumn dry & preserved imitations. I will vote for the term ahead for governing parties, I will plan my thanksgiving traditions and will set aside time to remember  the death of the season, the passing of many lives and the resting nature of the earth and I'll do it from the comfort of a warmed home and comfy couch.  Does red wine not taste any smoother, than in the folds of Fall?


Autumn Years Ago/Falling Forward.  Blogger's own Children when they were wee.

No comments:

Post a Comment